Saturday 6 July 2013

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy #1) by Mira Grant




 The year was 2014.

We had cured cancer.

We had beaten the common cold.

But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop.

The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected.

The truth will get out, even if it kills them.


  • Genre: Paranormal, Post Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy
  • Creatures: zombies
  • Age: new adult
  • Source: owned ebook
  • Recommended to Kristalia by: Ariana
  • Read from August 27 to September 02, 2012

FINAL RATING: ★★★★★/★★★★★






Sooooo....ever heard of Zombie reporters?

No? Well, meet:

Georgia Mason~



Shaun Mason~



from After the end times!

Now seriously. It is one of the rare books where you actually have two siblings for main characters who aren't blood related at all. I usually find many books with a whiny female who is sad about her life, she is boring or she is just so idiotic. This isn't the case, here we have strong main characters Shaun and George (Georgia), who are bloggers after the world officially ended 2014.

“I think you kids are totally insane.
Entertaining as all heck, and I love your site, but insane.”

They are also not teenagers, going by their years, because: they were born 2017, and going by the events of the books, the range of years is between 2039-2041. So that makes the two of them 22-24 years (since they were both the same age). Finally, someone older than 15!!! I guess it's official stereotype to be teen between 15-17.

This is a book about zombies, but not about zombies. The zombies are only around, but never the main center of the story (like: a girl is in love with a zombie, or other way around-face it, it's just to sick). It's more about the people in post apocalyptic world. What i really loved though is the fact that the zombie virus was explained properly. For that i recommend reading Countdown after FEED.

“My father has always had just one piece of advice about zombies and ammunition, one he’s drilled into my head enough times that it’s managed to stick: When you have one bullet left and there’s no visible way out of the shit you’re standing in, save it for yourself. It’s better than the alternative.”

FEED is split in 5 parts. The first two part of the book were boring,actually, that goes for second because first one was actually interesting with some little action and interesting lines such as:

“Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot -- in this case, my brother, Shaun -- deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.”

And the first two parts focused a lot on politics and senator's campaign. It is important after, and i had to survive through it.Anyway, ALL OF THE OTHER PARTS of the book were AMAZING. especially after the second part of the book when they went on the field to search for evidences on the Senator's farm. That's where things go really cool.

After all, this is a story about perusing the truth, because no one deserves to live in a lie, however nice it sounded.

“The difference between the truth and a lie is that both of them can hurt, but only one will take the time to heal you afterward.”

At the end, we have mind blowing turn of events. I certainly didn't expect that something like that would happen. Still, it was really shocking so....hm....

Well, it could have ended far more worse as seen in Fed, so i was satisfied with ending.

(for those who read it, who didn't cry at this part is unemotional-HUGE SPOILER BELLOW(MEGA SIZE))
 
I was really sad when Shaun had to kill Georgia so she wouldn't turn into a zombie. This scene was really emotional wreck and also heart breaking.
The thing that totally blew my mind was:


“Shaun…”
“I’m here.”
“I love you.”
“I know, George. I love you, too. You and me. Always.”
“I’m scared.”
***
Shaun I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I didn’t mean it I would take it all back if I could but I can’t I cant I I I I I I I all fading words going cant do this cant Shaun please Shaun please I love you I love you I always you know I Shaun please cant hold on everything jfdh cant do
this jhjnfbnnnn mmm have to my name my name is Shaun I love you Shaun please gngn please SHOOT ME SHAUN SHOOT ME N—
TERMINATE LIVE FEED


I mean, all those emotions.....


imabloggernotadoctor.tumblr
“…but at the end of the day, there’s got to be somebody you’re doing it for. Just one person you’re thinking of every time you make a decision, every time you tell the truth, or tell a lie, or anything.
I’ve got mine. Do you?”

At the beginning, i didn't like Georgia much, after a while i started to like her, but not as much as i love Shaun. I loved him from the start. It was just sad that he didn't get much attention here as he got in other two books. But nonetheless i loved both of them and other people like Rick, Mahir and other idiots :D

OVERALL:

To sum it up:


what i liked


+zombies which weren't main part of the story
+amazing duo (Shaun and George)
+not many "love is everywhere parts"
+i loved journal entries between the chapters, especially those of other people (since George is the narrator). It makes you understand characters and only make you love them more.
+SHAUNSHAUNSHAUNSHAUNSHAUNSHAUN - i am so in love with him
+ the end which was roler coaster of emotions and of coolness.
+amazing characterization.

what i didn't like

-politics (i always hated it)
-second part of the book (all the others were great)

I can guess why this book actually had such mixed reviews, probably because half of them never finished it.

p.s. Ari made me read it[not made me, but something like that] (if you are reading this go check her review )

now,i need to go do this:

Guess what, i am still doing it.

edit:
Changed the rating to 5 stars, because even after 6 months, i still think that this book and series is priceless, and that something that had such plot twist at the end deserved at least 5 stars.
end of edit








ADDITIONAL DESIREABLE READS FOR FEED:


Countdown (Newsflesh Trilogy #0.5)

The year is 2014, the year everything changed. We cured cancer. We cured the common cold. We died. This is the story of how we rose. When will you rise?

Countdown is a novella set in the world of Feed. Word count: ~19,500





Fed (Newsflesh Trilogy #1.5)

An alternate ending to the first novel in the Newsflesh trilogy, Feed.

It can be read also on the webpage of orbit books - orbitbooks.net

READ IT ON FACEBOOK!



MY REVIEW ON GOODREADS 


No comments:

Post a Comment